For some people, the idea of making money while you sleep seems too good to be true. In the era of the 9-5 job, many people are leaving that behind to search out various ways of making passive income. One of those ways is affiliate marketing.
What is Affiliate Marketing?
Affiliate marketing is when you earn a commission by promoting other people’s products, through a website or social media. However, this definition only scratches the surface of affiliate marketing. Let’s dive deeper into what happens during the affiliate marketing process.
The Affiliate Marketing Process - A Breakdown
There are four parties in any affiliate marketing transaction: the seller, the network, the affiliate, and the buyer.
- The Seller: This is the person or company behind the product. This can be any company, whether large or small, that offers a product to its consumers.
- The Network: The network serves as a link between the affiliate and the buyer. One of the most famous affiliate networks is Amazon, which serves as a database for thousands of products. Most networks allow you to create a custom link to a product. When someone makes a purchase using that link, you earn a portion of the commission.
- The Affiliate: The affiliate works to convince others of the worth of the product sold. The end goal is to attract potential customers who will buy the product once they are convinced of it’s worth. This is accomplished through reviews or posts of the product.
- The Buyer: Without the buyer, this entire cycle is at a standstill. The buyer will likely see the product promoted through social media or blog marketing and decides if they will make a purchase.
How to Get Started As An Affiliate
If you want to get started as an affiliate, you first need to figure out what your product is. After all, you need something to promote to receive money from sales. Think about the needs of your audience. Ask yourself the following questions:
- Do they need what I am promoting?
- Do I genuinely like this product?
- Does this product fit into my niche?
- Am I pushing this product because I think it’s “cool”?
While some affiliates choose to create physical or digital products, others skip this route entirely and choose to promote products that already exist. Figure out what your niche is and look for products that fit into this area. Be careful of reviewing any product that comes your way.
You want to build trust with your audience, so it’s better to stick to promoting products that you genuinely like and use. If not, your followers will quickly see through your facade, and you can kiss any chance of affiliate earnings goodbye.
How To Market Products As An Affiliate
Start a Blog
If you don’t already have one, starting a blog is a great way to begin reviewing and marketing products. We’re not saying to turn every blog post into an ad, but start slowly incorporating reviews and opinions on products. Share products that you love, but be honest. Every product isn’t perfect, so tell them what you think. Including a few cons will let them know that you’re a real person behind the screen.
When deciding to go this route, consistency is key to your success. You’ll need to post regularly and build up a rapport with your audience. Once they feel that they can trust you, you’re bound to see your earnings start to skyrocket.
Use Social Media
Social media is an invaluable asset to many affiliate marketers. Most get the majority of their earnings from their social media followers. Similar to the blogging platform, try not to come off a salesy. You don’t want to drive followers away as soon as they’ve found you. Include products in posts, stories, and lives on your social media platform of choice.
Most influencers make it clear when they have partnered with a company; transparency with followers can move them to support you in this way. Also, don’t be afraid to reach out to fellow affiliates on various platforms. Their followers may be interested in the products you promote and vice versa.
Make Good Use of Mailing Lists
Your mailing list is an invaluable resource in the world of affiliate marketing.
Because it’s yours.
The people on your mailing list signed up because they like you, your content, and what you bring to the table. A call to action on your webpage can result in dozens of sign-ups. Many affiliates offer special content to members of their mailing list in exchange for signing up.
You don’t have to stress over the size of your mailing list. Even a list of 100 people can be incredibly effective.
The best part of it is that you don’t have to spam your mailing list in hopes of making sales. Even a weekly email can result in hundreds of clicks and purchases from a product you’re promoting.
When you have a new review or post up about a product, they’ll be the first to know. Now and then, you can send them a specific call to action but tread lightly. A simple nudge here and there is enough to move them to give your products a second look.
How to Become an Art Lover Affiliate
Now that you know the ins and outs of affiliate marketing, you’re all set to become an AFYC Art Lover Affiliate. You have the chance to make some extra cash by sharing the art you love with your friends, family, and followers! If you need a few more reasons to join the program, here are a few perks to becoming an Art Lover Affiliate:
- You earn a 10% commission on all purchases made through your link
- No minimum sales to cash out earnings
- Free to join
- AFYC Affiliate Dashboard lets you see and track earnings
Get started by signing up for an Art Lover Affiliate account, and watch your earnings start piling up.